#JA1-Photography Journal Assignment 1. Mobiles and The Death of Conversation

  1. Do you usually have your cell phone out and visible? If I need my cell phone to do something I will usually have it out, but I try and not to have it out a lot. 
  2. Would you rate learning something new as a complex task or an easy task? I would rate learning something new as a complex task because you have not learned this material before. 
  3. What happens to performance on complex tasks when a cell phone is visible? Performance on complex tasks suffered because the cell phone distracted them from doing things they needed to get done. 
  4. How does having a cell phone out remind people of a “broader social community? People who have phones out remind them of a "broader social community" because they have access to the internet and texting.
  5. Does the presence of a cell phone change the performance of easy tasks? Yes it does because they distract you from what you should actually be focused on. 
  6. What did the presence of a cell phone do to the quality of social interaction in the 2012 study? The presence of a cell phone made people non- social in interactions with others. 
  7. Does the use of black and white as opposed to color add or detract from the message? Why or why not? Support your answer. No, I don't think that the use of black and white detracts the message of the artist in fact it think it makes it more clear because it brings out main points in the picture and still get a message out just like a colored photograph. 
  8. Romero says that “killing conversation…is increasing social pain.” Support or refute (for or against) his position.I don't agree with this statement because I feel as if conversations make people more social and does not cause them pain so I don't understand if we don't converse their will be social pain because thats not true to me. 
  9. How do you emotionally react to Romero’s images. I find them very interesting because they make me want to know what they person was doing that kept them so distracted. 
  10. What do you think about Romero’s images? Relate your answer to things in your own life. I find them very real and true to the world we live in today because everyone now is too distracted by phones to notice the beauty around them and listen and see things they need to see and find. 
  11. Do you think this issue is becoming worse or not? Support your answer. Yes because the younger the kids are the more they know how to use phones and become distracted and loose the ability to actually learn and know how to think and study. 
  12. Make a list of truly important uses for a smartphone. Make a list of just fun uses for a smart phone. Help from internet, connect with family and friends, communicate emotions to others, find new things and ideas from others, see beautiful pictures, and take beautiful pictures. 
  13. How often do you use your smart phone for social reasons or to “kill time” (an interesting expression) as opposed to something truly necessary and important. I use my phone 4 hours a week to "kill time" when I am not overwhelmed by homework. 
  14. Do you ever use technology to avoid interacting with other people? Yes because I am an introvert and socially awkward. 
  15. If you are in a safe place with a lot of your friends and/or family around, how would you react if someone that you do not know began a conversation with you. I would feel awkward and it would be strange to me because I don't have conversations a lot with strangers. 
  16. Given the same scenario, would you ever start a conversation with a stranger? Why or why not. Maybe if I felt outgoing that day, but not likely because I don't feel the need to be outgoing and I am very shy. 
  17. (Support your answer with examples!) What effect has social media and the use of cell phones had upon you and your peers with regard to:
    1. Time management- Not always having time to finish homework because Netflix distracts me. 
    2. Social skills- talking to others in my class in hard because I don't know how to keep a conversation going. 
    3. Self esteem- My self-esteem is very low because I doubt myself a lot in most things I do in school and in my appearance.
    4. Work ethic- My work ethic is very hardworking and I like to do everything to the best of my abilities and don't like to get distracted easily by phones. 

Comments

  1. I strongly disagree that you are socially awkward, btw. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pains me to see that you are insecure about your appearance. You are a truly lovely young girl who everyone likes. Don't believe your self talk. Everyone feels self conscious in High School, thats perfectly normal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Concentration statement